These brown butter chocolate chip cookies are thick and chewy. Loaded up with toffee bits and pretzels to create the perfect blend of sweet and salty to satisfy any craving!
Why we love these Brown Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies…
- Brown Butter: taking the time to brown the butter for this recipe really adds an extra layer of flavoring, giving a rich, nutty, luxurious taste to the cookie.
- Sweet & Salty: thanks to adding some pretzels to the cookie we get a nice salty and sweet flavoring that is purely addicting.
- Adaptable: these are Kitchen Sink cookies, meaning you can load them up with everything but the kitchen sink! So choose your favorite cookie add-ins and get baking!
Notes on Ingredients:
- Flour: this recipe has been tested using All purpose flour.
- Sugar: a combination of white and brown is used to balance sweetness with moisture.
- Chocolate Chips: Semi sweet are called for in the recipe. You can also purchase chocolate baking bars and chop them up to use in the cookies.
- Toffee & Pretzels: ideas of fillings, additional filling options are included below.
How to Make (step-by-step):
- Brown the butter: add the butter to a small saucepan and heat over low heat until butter is a rich golden color and has a rich nutty fragrance.
- Combine the cooled off browned butter with sugars and mix together until smooth. Add in the egg and vanilla and continue to mix.
- Add the dry ingredients into the wet, the flour, salt, baking soda. Mix until cookie dough forms.
- Fold the add-ins into the cookie dough: chocolate chips, pretzels, and toffee bits.
- Use a cookie scoop to spoon the dough into equal portions and place on a prepared baking sheet.
- Bake the cookies until golden. Let them cool on the baking pan for 5 minutes, then remove to a wire rack to continue cooling.
- Chilling: Chill the cookie dough to make the cookies fluffier, they won’t spread as much when the dough starts out cold. Due to the butter being melted, the dough is very soft when first mixed together.
- Fillings: these cookies can be easily adapted and you can add whatever fillings you want. Some ideas include: white chocolate chips, caramel, butterscotch chips, potato chips, coconut, nuts.
- Toppings: Add extra chocolate chips and pretzels to the dough once scooped onto the cookie sheet, this helps make the top of the cookie pretty!
Brown Butter Kitchen Sink Cookies: FAQ
This phrase refers to a cookie that is loaded with everything, ”but the kitchen sink”. You can put whatever you want in these cookies as a filling. Popular options include: chocolate chips, peanut butter chips, toffee, pretzels, caramel, butterscotch, coconut, and potato chips.
Browning butter is the process of separating the milk solids in the butter using heat, then toasting those solids when they sink to the bottom of the pan. This creates a wonderful browned coloring and a deep, rich, nutty flavor that transfers to your cookies! It’s that secret, extra pop of flavor that adds to your baked goods.
More Cookie Recipes:
- Mexican Hot Chocolate Cookies
- Thick Texas Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Perfect Cut Out Sugar Cookies
- Caramel Apple Cookies
If you tried this recipe please leave a comment and a ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating below! Thank you so much!
Recipe first published December 8, 2017. Updated December 8, 2022 with new images. Recipe is unchanged.
Photography by the talented @KJandCompany.co