Crispy Roasted Sweet Potatoes are the perfect addition to any meal. Only a few ingredients and less than 25 minutes. Enjoy them as a side dish or in tacos, salads, bowls and more!
Roasted sweet potatoes are the perfect side dish any time of the year. They are crispy on the outside and tender on the inside.
This healthy side dish recipes uses olive oil, salt and pepper. You can customize the flavor of the potatoes by using your favorite seasonings or even brown sugar.
This recipe is naturally vegetarian, gluten free, vegan, plant-based and dairy free.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- It’s quick and easy!
- You will have perfectly crispy sweet potatoes every time.
- Add sweet potatoes to any of your favorite meals including tacos, salads and bowls.
Ingredients You Need
You only need 2 ingredients plus salt and pepper!
- Raw Sweet Potatoes: Any type of sweet potatoes work for this recipe.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil: Use high quality olive oil for the best flavor. You can also substitute with avocado oil.
- Salt and Pepper
OPTIONAL: Adjust the flavor by adding your favorite seasonings. We love adding one additional seasoning like cumin, garlic powder, chili powder, paprika or a pinch of cayenne. Sweet potatoes are pretty sweet on their own but you can also add a small amount of brown sugar or maple syrup for sweeter flavor.
How to Make Crispy Roasted Sweet Potatoes
- Cube the sweet potato – Peel the sweet potatoes and cube into 1/2-inch chunks. Make the chunks even sized so that they will cook evenly.
- Prepare for baking – Preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Lightly spray a large baking sheet with cooking spray. You can also lay down a piece of parchment paper, if desired.
- Toss together all of the ingredients – Place the sweet potato cubes on the baking sheet. Drizzle with the olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Toss everything to coat well.
- Bake – Spread out the potato chunks into an even layer on the baking sheet. Roast for 25 to 30 minutes, until the vegetables are soft and golden brown with crispy edges. Flip the sweet potatoes once halfway through baking.
Roasted Sweet Potatoes in the Air Fryer
Make these sweet potatoes in the air fryer instead of the oven. Preheat your air fryer to 425 degrees Fahrenheit and cook in the air fryer basket for 5 minutes. Shake the basket and continue cooking for another 5 minutes. Check to see if the potatoes are cooked to your liking. If you want them crispier, cook another 2 to 3 minutes.
- Cut the sweet potatoes into even-sized pieces. About 1/2 inch in size is the ideal size for them to cook quickly and get really crispy.
- Roast at a high temperature. Cooking them at 425 degrees Fahrenheit helps create the crispy outside and tender insides.
- Don’t crowd the sheet pan. Spread out the cubed sweet potatoes on the pan so that there is plenty of space in between. This allows the air to circulate around the potatoes to make them crispy.
- Add your favorite seasonings. While this is a simple recipe with only olive oil, salt and pepper, you can add flavor by adding one or more of your favorite seasonings. If you’re making tacos or want a Southwest flavor, add cumin or chili powder. But if you want a garlicky twist, add a pinch of garlic powder. The flavor options are endless!
- Add sweetness. Sweet potatoes are pretty sweet on their own, but you can add honey, maple syrup or brown sugar for even more sweet flavor.
- Ground Cumin: Add 1/2 teaspoon before roasting.
- Garlic Powder: Add 1/2 teaspoon before roasting.
- Spicy: Add 1/4 – 1/2 teaspoon of cayenne powder before roasting.
- Cinnamon: For a warm cinnamon flavor, add 1/2 teaspoon of ground cinnamon.
- Parmesan Cheese: Sprinkle freshly grated Parmesan cheese over the top of the sweet potatoes after baking.
Other Sweet Potato Side Dish Recipes
If you love sweet potatoes, they you will love all of these recipes featuring sweet potatoes.
- Sautéed Sweet Potatoes
- Sweet Potato Souffle
- Savory Mashed Sweet Potatoes
- Baked Crispy Sweet Potato Fries
Did you try these Crispy Roasted Sweet Potatoes? Leave a recipe rating and review below.