Italian Chicken and Potatoes cooks in a skillet on the stove top in under 30 minutes for a quick and easy dinner recipe! Italian seasoning and a few other simple ingredients creates a simple dinner that is packed with flavor.
Easy skillet dinners are the best. This recipe requires only a few simple ingredients to create a dinner that is packed with flavor.
Parboiling the potatoes first drastically cuts down on cook time. You can parboil them on the stovetop in 8 minutes or in the microwave in only 5 minutes.
After parboiling the potatoes, the recipe comes together in easily in one skillet to make clean up easy.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- It’s a delicious dinner in under 30 minutes!
- It’s naturally gluten free, paleo and Whole30 friendly.
- It requires little prep and clean up.
- This easy chicken and potatoes recipe works great for meal prep.
Ingredients You Need
You probably already have all of the ingredients for this recipe in your refrigerator and pantry. Here is everything you need:
- Boneless Skinless Chicken Thighs: You can substitute with boneless skinless chicken breasts, but chicken breasts dry out quicker so be sure to cook until JUST cooked through.
- Yellow Potatoes: Small yukon gold potatoes work best to create the best texture and flavor. You can substitute with sweet potatoes, russet potatoes or baby red potatoes.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil: You can also use butter or ghee. Either one works great for this recipe and I like to alternate each time I make this recipe.
- Seasonings: You will need freshly minced garlic, dried Italian seasonings, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper.
A cast iron pan is recommended for this recipe. A cast iron skillet retains high heat and cooks evenly, which is perfect for this recipe.
You can also use a pan or stainless steel skillet.
How to Make Chicken and Potatoes
This simple chicken and potatoes recipe comes together with a few steps and easy clean up!
- Parboil the potatoes: First, you will need to parboil the potatoes to soften them. This allows them to cook quicker in the skillet. You can parboil them in a large pot on the stove by placing the potatoes in boiling salted water for 8 minutes. Or you can use your microwave by adding the potato chunks to a large bowl with 1/4 cup water. Heat the potatoes in the microwave for 5 minutes. Gently pat the potatoes dry.
- Cook the potatoes: Preheat a large cast iron skillet over medium heat for 3 to 5 minutes, then add half of the olive oil. There should be enough oil to coat the bottom of the pan. Add a little more oil, if needed. Allow the oil to heat for a minute or two and then add the potatoes in a single layer. Stir gently to coat in olive oil, then let them cook for 3 minutes. Stir them, then cook for another 2 minutes, stirring occasionally to evenly brown. They should be golden brown and tender.
- Season the potatoes: Sprinkle the potatoes with Italian seasoning and garlic. Cook for 30 seconds. Remove the potatoes from the skillet and set aside on a plate.
- Cook the chicken: Add the remaining olive oil to the skillet. Add the chicken and season with garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper. Cook undisturbed over medium heat for 3 minutes. Stir the chicken and cook for another 4 to 5 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Combine everything and serve: Add the potatoes back to the skillet with the cooked chicken. Toss to combine.
Serve with lemon wedges for even more fresh flavor!
- Cut the potatoes into even-sized pieces. They should be 1-2 inches. This allows all of the potatoes to cook evenly.
- Cut the chicken into even-sized pieces. This allows the chicken to cook evenly. If you are using chicken breasts, you will need to adjust cook time slightly as they dry out quicker.
- Don’t overcook the chicken. The chicken should be cooked until the internal temperature registers 165 degrees Fahrenheit on a meat thermometer.
- When using a cast iron pan, regulating temperature is important. Be sure to preheat the pan before adding the oil. Adjust the heat if needed.
Tips for cooking the potatoes: To prevent the potatoes from sticking to the pan be sure to (1) pat the potatoes dry, (2) preheat the pan, (3) coat the bottom of the pan with olive oil and (4) cook the potatoes undisturbed for a few minutes.
Other Skillet Dinners
- Ground Beef and Broccoli Skillet
- Tuscan Garlic Chicken
- Turkey Taco Quinoa Skillet
- Maple Dijon Chicken Skillet
Did you try this easy chicken and potatoes recipe? Leave a recipe rating and review below.