These made from scratch Coconut Cupcakes with a hint of lime are light and fluffy. Filled with a sweet coconut cream and topped with a swirl of coconut cream cheese frosting. The perfect mix of tropical and citrus flavoring. A fun summertime dessert recipe!
All about these Coconut Lime Cupcakes…
- Tropical Flavors: The combination of coconut and lime creates a fun tropical flavoring that is cool and refreshing.
- Filling: Adding a creamy coconut filling to the cupcakes amps up the flavoring and helps keep the cupcakes tender and moist. Make sure you set aside the time to make and add the filling to the cupcakes since this is what truly makes them stand apart from other recipes!
- Perfect for any summertime occasion: Need a dessert idea for a special summer occasion? Birthday? Bridal Showers? Baby Showers? These cupcakes are perfect for that!! They are impressive and beautiful and will have all your guests asking for the recipe.
Notes on some ingredients:
- Cream of Coconut: this will be found in a can, or you can use a squeeze bottle of coco lopez. Cream of coconut is different than coconut cream. This product is a sweetened condensed milk version of coconut.
- Coconut Milk: use canned or coconut milk from a carton. This adds more coconut flavoring to the frosting. If needed you can sub with regular milk.
- Butter: when baking be sure to grab unsalted butter, this allows for more control in the salt of the recipe.
How to Make (step-by-step):
- Step 1: Mix dry and wet ingredients separate, in one bowl add the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set this aside. In a separate bowl cream the butter and sugar, then add the eggs and vanilla.
- Step 2 & 3: Combine wet and dry ingredients, stir until just combined, then slowly add the milk and lime zest and juice. Avoid over-mixing the batter.
- Step 4: Fill the muffin tin to 2/3 full. Bake at 350 degrees F for 17-19 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Step 5: Mix the filling, this creamy coconut filling reminds me of the filling of an almond joy. It’s smooth, luxurious and is loaded with shredded coconut.
- Step 6: Fill the cupcakes. Once the cupcakes have cooled, cut the center out using a sharp paring knife, fill the center of the cupcakes with the filling, you can use a piping bag for this or simply use a spoon. Place the top of the cupcake piece removed back onto the cupcake to give a nice smooth surface for frosting.
- Step 7: Mix frosting. This coconut cream cheese frosting is best made with room temperature butter and cream cheese, mix until smooth and creamy. The coconut extract gives a wonderful smooth, refreshing coconut flavoring.
- Step 8: Pipe on frosting. The frosting can either be piped on using a piping bag and decorating tip, or use an offset spatula or other flat spatula to spread the frosting around. Decorate with lime zest or shredded coconut.
- Room Temperature ingredients: bring the butter, eggs and milk or creams to room temperature by setting out about 45 minutes prior to baking. This helps the ingredients mix in nice and evenly into the batter.
- Sifting: if needed sift your flour for the cupcakes and the powdered sugar for the frosting! This will help cut down on any lumps in either.
- Scoop: use an ice cream scoop to help evenly distribute the batter. This ensures a consistency to the size of the cupcakes and helps them to bake evenly.
Coconut Lime Cupcakes: FAQS
Store these cupcakes in a sealed container at room temperature for up to 3 days. You can also place them in the refrigerator and they will last for up to 5 days.
I recommend freezing these cupcakes without the filling or frosting being added. After baking the cupcakes, let them cool to room temperature. Then freeze them on a baking sheet overnight. Once frozen, they can be transferred to a sealed freezer safe container or bag. Store for up to 2 months. When ready, let them thaw overnight in the refrigerator. Bring them to room temperature and continue with the recipe to add the filling and frosting.
These cupcakes can be easily decorated with the frosting using a decorating tip and piping bag. OR you can use an offset spatula or flat knife to spread the frosting directly onto the cupcakes. Top with a sprinkle of shredded coconut and lime zest to let people know the flavoring without asking!
More Baking Dessert Recipes:
- Tres Leches Cake
- Homemade Peach Cobbler
- Strawberry Shortcake
- Sopapilla Cheesecake Rolls
- Texas Sheet Cake
If you tried this recipe please leave a comment and a ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating below! Thank you so much!
Recipe first published February 18, 2014. Updated June 10, 2022 with new images and information. Recipe has been updated over the years to result in a lighter, fluffier cupcake.
Photography by the talented @KJandCompany.co