These Mexican Pork Carnitas are slow cooked until the meat is tender and easily falls apart. Then cooked under a hot broiler to get crisp caramelized bits. This recipe is so easy to make with the use of a slow cooker. Although it can be modified to be made on the stovetop as well. This recipe is great for tacos, enchiladas, tostadas, or burrito bowls and pairs with Mexican Rice, Homemade Refried Beans and some Guacamole.
Why You Need to Make THIS Carnitas Recipe:
- Quick Prep work: using our slow cooker for this recipe allows us to get things together in minutes and let the meat cook all day which gives us tender, flavorful meat.
- Easy to find Ingredients: No complicated ingredients are needed for this recipe.
- Crispy, Caramelized bites: thanks to doing a quick broil at the end of the cooking gives us those crisp, caramelized bites of pork that make carnitas famous.
- Great for Large Groups: This is a perfect meal to make for a large group or gathering, or for meal prep for a week.
What is carnitas?
Carnitas is basically Mexican pulled pork. It’s traditionally made by braising, or simmering pork in lard until it’s tender. Then once the meat is tender, the heat is increased to crisp up the outside of the pork. It’s used in tacos, burritos, tamales, or on tostadas. Or of course, you can add it to a salad, or just eat it by itself also.
Notes on Some Ingredients:
- Pork Shoulder: This cut is also referred to as a “pork butt”. There is no need to have a bone in for this recipe. If needed this recipe can be made with other cuts of pork such as pork loin,
- Oranges: grab organic or clean the oranges well since we will be using the juice and also tossing the entire orange into our slow cooker for flavoring.
- Jalapeno: the recipe calls for the seeds and membranes to be removed, if you would prefer to have a little heat to the meat, you can leave those in or you could grab a hotter Chile such as a Serrano if you would prefer.
How to Make (Step by Step):
- Step 1: Make the rub. In a small bowl combine the cumin, chipotle powder, salt, oregano, and black pepper, stir to combine. Chop the meat into large pieces to help with cooking, then rub down the pork roast with the seasoning.
- Step 2: Place the roast into the slow cooker. Add the quartered onion, minced garlic, sliced jalapenos, and orange juice. Cook over low heat for 6-8 hours (depends on size, more information is included in the recipe card).
- Step 3: Remove the roast from the slow cooker and shred. Save the juices from cooking the meat. (I like to save the juices in a sealed plastic container, I use it when crisping the meat, and also save it for helping to reheat any leftovers).
- Step 4: Preheat broiler, spread the shredded meat in a single layer on a large baking sheet. Spoon excess juices from cooking the meat, over the meat. Broil until bits of the meat begin to crisp and caramelize, about 2-3 minutes. Then remove from the heat.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Carnitas is made out of pork, the best cut is to use a Pork Shoulder Roast, AKA “Pork Butt”. You can use bone in, but it’s not necessary for this recipe. The best cut is going to be a well marbled Boston butt, or picnic roast cut of pork.
Carnitas is a Mexican version of pulled pork. It is not the same as a BBQ style Pulled Pork recipe.
Serve these carnitas on tacos, or inside burritos, or enchiladas. As always some great side options would be Mexican Rice and Refried Beans with some Homemade Salsa.
Yes! This recipe can be easily adapted to be made in an instant pot instead. Add all the ingredients into the instant pot, plus add in 1 cup of chicken broth. Close the lid, set vent to seal and cook on high for 40 minutes. Let the pressure release naturally for 15 minutes, then manually release the rest. Shred and broil the meat to crisp it.
Ways to Enjoy Your Carnitas:
- Serve inside of soft corn tortillas or homemade flour tortillas if you prefer. Top with diced onion and cilantro or with some Homemade Salsa or Pico de Gallo.
- Use this meat to make your own Tex Mex Enchiladas smothered in a Homemade Chili Gravy Sauce.
- Make some Cilantro Lime Rice and Charro Beans to create your own Burrito Bowl with your favorite toppings, including some Corn Salsa.
- On a plate with some Mexican Rice and Homemade Refried Beans.
If you tried this recipe please leave a comment and a ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating below! Thank you so much!
Photography done by the talented @KJandCompany.co