This easy, slow cooker brisket recipe has been simmered with chiles, and spices making it so easy to shred. Perfect for making tacos, nachos, burritos, salads, or anything you want!
All about this slow cooked brisket..
- Quick and easy: thanks to using the slow cooker this recipe is a set it and leave it meal. That makes it perfect for busy weekdays or weekends!
- Versatile: use this recipe to make the shredded brisket you can use in burrito bowls, burritos, nachos, tacos, enchiladas or salads! There’s so many options.
Notes on some ingredients:
- Brisket: we are not using a whole packer cut for this recipe like you would for a smoked brisket recipe. You can find the brisket packed into two different cuts, the flat or the point. You should be able to find a 3-5 pound brisket flat cut at the market for this recipe.
- Poblano pepper: feel free to adjust the amount or type of Chile for this recipe. Other options would include jalapeno, Serranos, or anchos.
How to Make Shredded Brisket for Tacos (step-by-step):
- Step 1: Prepare the Ingredients: De-seed the pepper and chop (leave the seeds if you want more heat. Chop the onion, and mince the garlic.
- Step 2: Add the Ingredients to the Slow Cooker: Place the brisket into the slow cooker fat side up. This helps to keep the moisture in the meat. Add the remaining ingredients to the slow cooker and then pour beef broth over the top.
- Step 3: Serving: Keep the juice you cook the meat in!! Strain it and skim the grease off. Hang onto it! Spoon some on the meat after you shred it, this will keep it moist. Keep the juice in the fridge and if you have leftover brisket just spoon a little of the juice over it before you re-heat to help keep the meat moist.
How to Serve:
- Make Brisket Tacos: this is my favorite way to enjoy this shredded beef. Heat up some corn tortillas, fill with the meat and add all of your favorite toppings.
- Enchilada Filling: use this shredded beef for filling up enchiladas. Follow the instructions in our How to make Tex Mex Enchiladas using ANY Filling.
- Brisket Burritos: fill up a large flour tortilla with the shredded brisket meat and any other fillings you want. You can even use it to make a Smothered Burrito.
- Low Carb. Simply grill up some fajita vegetables by slicing up some bell peppers and onions and grilling them in a cast iron skillet. Add some salt and pepper and let them get some caramelized flavors.
Place the leftovers in a baking dish, spoon some of the leftover juices over the top and cover with foil. Heat in the oven at 375℉ for 15 minutes or until heated through.
This is a tough cut of meat due to the connective tissue. This meat needs to be cooked low and slow. Don’t cut down on the cooking time, and you may find that you need more time to get the meat shreddable.
More Slow Cooker Recipes:
- If you’re looking for some other recipes that use a different cut of beef try out this Slow Cooker Beef Barbacoa OR this Sweet Barbacoa recipe.
- If you have a large slow cooker, this Beef Birria recipe can easily be adapted to simmer all day long.
- Switch it up and grab some pork for this Slow Cooker Texas Style Pulled Pork, perfect for loading up into sandwiches.
If you tried this recipe please leave a comment and a ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating below! Thank you so much!
Recipe first published February 3, 2016. Updated on February 26, 2021 with new images and information.
Photography done by KJandCompany.co