Sweet and creamy Slow Cooker Sweet Potato Casserole, topped with a velvety brown sugar sauce and crunchy pecans! Save precious cooking space by making this holiday side dish completely in the slow cooker.
All about this Slow Cooker Sweet Potato Casserole…
- Slow Cooker: this allows you to save precious cooking space if needed when cooking a large holiday meal.
- Flavor: butter, brown sugar, and cinnamon flavored mashed sweet potatoes.
- Texture: the combination of creamy mashed sweet potatoes with the crunch of pecans on top.
- Decadence: sweet potato casserole has all the flavors and sweetness of a dessert that gets served as a side alongside the main meal.
Notes on Some Ingredients Needed:
- Sweet Potatoes: start with whole sweet potatoes, then peel and chop them.
- Light Brown Sugar: adds sweetness and a depth of flavor, if you want more of a molasses flavoring you can substitute with dark brown sugar.
- Milk: use your milk of choice, dairy free options will work in this recipe.
- Eggs: these are used as a binder in this recipe to give structure and texture to the mashed potatoes.
How to Make (step-by-step):
- Peel and chop the sweet potatoes. Chop to a consistent size to help cook evenly. Add some water and cook the sweet potatoes until they are fork tender in the slow cooker.
- Add the butter, milk, eggs, spices, and sugar to the sweet potatoes and mash until smooth and creamy.
- Smooth out the top of the sweet potatoes.
- Add the pecan topping and let cook in the slow cooker for an additional 30 minutes.
- Marshmallow Topping: you can leave off the pecan topping. Bake the casserole as directed in the recipe, then once it’s done, turn the heat off, top with marshmallows, put the lid on and let the remaining heat melt the marshmallows and serve once they are melted.
- Roasted Potatoes: want to amp up the caramelized flavor of the sweet potato? Roast them in the oven instead of doing the first cook with water in the slow cooker, then add to the slow cooker to continue cooking.
- Additions: want to add to the flavors? Simply add your favorites to this dish. Some ideas: maple syrup, vanilla, bourbon, ginger, fresh herbs.
Slow Cooker Sweet Potato Casserole: FAQS
Eggs act as a binder, it enriches and provides structure to the casserole. Without the egg you will have more of a sweet potato mash instead of a casserole.
This particular recipe is made completely in the slow cooker to save precious cooking space in the oven and stovetop on holidays, so instead of baking our sweet potatoes we are cooking them in some liquid. After the sweet potatoes cook, before you mash, you can drain out any excess liquid to help create a thicker casserole.
Yes, the casserole thickens up as it is allowed to cool.
More Holiday Side Dishes:
If you tried this recipe please leave a comment and a ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating below! Thank you so much!
Recipe first published October 20, 2016.