Strawberries and Cream Oatmeal is a great option for breakfast. Oats are mixed with milk and chopped fresh strawberries for a hearty way to start your day. This recipe can be easily adapted to make it vegan and dairy-free too!
Strawberries are also a great addition to breakfast foods including strawberry oatmeal. Homemade oatmeal is a great option for breakfast as it contains fiber and protein. Adding any type of milk to the oatmeal makes it extra creamy and delicious. The sweetness of the strawberries pairs perfectly with the natural sweetness of the oats.
Customize this recipe by using old fashioned oats, steel cut oats or your favorite type of dairy or non-dairy milk. You can even add more fruit for a flavor boost
Skip instant oatmeal or oatmeal packets and make this homemade version of strawberry oatmeal instead!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- This hearty oatmeal is a great way to start the day that will keep you full and satisfied.
- This recipe can be made with coconut milk to make it a dairy free and vegan breakfast.
- Customize the oatmeal by using different fruits, sweeteners and milk to your personal taste.
- It’s made with a few basic ingredients.
Ingredients You Need
- Coconut Oil: To toast the nuts and give them a nutty flavor.
- Oatmeal: You can use steel cut or regular old fashioned rolled oats as the base of this recipe.
- Cinnamon and Nutmeg: Adds warming flavor to the oatmeal. You can adjust the seasonings, if desired.
- Salt: Helps enhance the flavor.
- Liquid: You will need a combination of hot water and milk. You can use your favorite dairy or non-dairy milk. Cows milk, almond milk, cashew milk, soy milk or hemp milk are all great choices.
- Strawberries: Use freshly chopped strawberries for the best texture and flavor.
- Maple Syrup: You can substitute with brown sugar or omit it completely, if desired. You can even add a dash of vanilla extract for more flavor.
Other Fruit Variations: Try stirring in some other fresh berries or fruit into your oatmeal like blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, peaches, nectarines or diced apples.
How to Make Strawberries and Cream Oatmeal
- Toast the oats: Add the coconut oil to a medium saucepan set over medium heat. Add the oats and saute them for 2 minutes until they are fragrant and toasted. Then, stir in the cinnamon, nutmeg and salt.
- Cook the oats: To the saucepan, add the water and milk to bring to a boil. Cover the saucepan and turn the heat down to a low simmer. Cook steel cut oats for 20 minutes or old fashioned oats for 5 minutes or until they are cooked through.
- Add the strawberries: To the cooked oats, stir in the chopped strawberries and maple syrup, stir to combine. Cook old fashioned oats for one additional minute. For steel cut oats, continue to cook uncovered for 15 minutes or until the oats have thickened.
- Garnish and serve: Ladle the oats into serving bowls and top with freshly chopped strawberries. Serve immediately while hot.
NOTE: Steel cut oats take much longer to cook than old fashioned oats. Be sure to adjust your cook time depending on what type of oats you are using.
- Do not use instant oats as they will not cook correctly. Use steel cut oats or old fashioned oats.
- To ensure that the oatmeal is gluten free, use certified gluten free oats.
- Chop the strawberries into even sized pieces. This helps ensure that they break down evenly into the oats. If you want large chunks of strawberries in your oatmeal, only chop some of them.
- The cook time may vary. Depending on the type of oats and milk used, your cook time may vary. Check the oats every 5 minutes or so to make sure they are cooking properly.
- Add more fiber. Stir in a tablespoon or two of chia seeds, hemp hearts or ground flaxseed for more fiber and nutrients.
This strawberries and cream oatmeal recipe is the perfect breakfast any time. You can easily prep this recipe in advance and store leftovers in the refrigerator to enjoy throughout the week. Try this recipe for breakfast, brunch or meal prep!
Other Oatmeal Recipes
- Baked Apple Oatmeal
- Peanut Butter Banana Oatmeal
- Banana Blueberry Baked Oatmeal
- Apple Steel Cut Oatmeal
Did you make this Strawberry Oatmeal recipe? Leave a recipe rating and review below.